Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Writing Tool

"The monosyllable of the clock is loss, loss, loss, unless you devote your heart to its opposition" - Tennessee Williams

I believe that this quote from my favorite American playwright is very inspiring.
It also inspired me to write this blog. It's a blog against loss. To capture moments and to keep them safe. Against oblivion. It is a blog dedicated to "The Opposite of Loss." It came in very handy that the title's acronym is TOOL. Which is also a perfect word to describe this place. It's a tool to express everything that does not fit into the narrowly spaced columns of a newspaper - If I am too wordy (which I tend to be almost all the time), or if the topic I want to write about is too personal for a broader audience.

I started this blog in English, because I thought it would be much easier to explain its title this way (also because I know that there are people out there who might be interested in what I write about who are not fluent in German). Still, there will be posts I will and I have to write in German. Either because I'm too lazy to use another part of my brain, or - which is more likely - I believe that I need to use my mother tongue to be able to fully express my opinion. This is also what makes this blog different from most newspaper articles: It is about opinions.

So what do you think? What is the opposite of loss? Is it gain? I do hope that not only I, myself, will gain something from writing this blog (amusement, insights, ...), but also that my readers will experience a "surplus."

I promise that I will devote my heart to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment